Wednesday, October 26, 2005

A God on Whom to call

Children’s Message
Sunday, October 23, 2005
North Presbyterian Church

Good morning everyone. Some of you might know me, but most of you probably do not. I am, among other things, a child of this church. I came to this church with my family when I was three, and in some way or another, I have spent the better part of the last 30 or so years involved in this congregation. I am a church educator at a church in Rochester now. I am really excited to be here with you all today.

Since this is the Children’s story time, I have one to share with you:

One of my favorite fall rituals is going to the cornfield maze. Raise your hand if you have ever been out to a cornfield maze. Well, let me tell you how the one that my family likes to go to works: They take a big cornfield and clear out a maze-like path. You have a map with lots of blank spaces, and as you go through the maze, you find clues and pieces of the map to help you get to the end. There are twists and turns. Sometimes, you know where you’re going. Sometimes, you’re completely lost. Sometimes you think you know where you’re going, and you slowly realize that you’re lost, and sometimes when you think you are hopelessly lost, you turn a corner, find a piece of the map, and realize that you are going to be OK after all. And the best part of the maze is this—you will get out somehow. It might take you 45 minutes, it might take you 5 hours, but you will get out. And while you are lost, if you do get afraid, and feel hopeless and don’t know what to do, you can call for help. At the maze I go to, everyone gets these flags to hold, and if you feel like you need some help, you just wave your flag around, and up high on a scaffold, there is someone watching what is going on in the maze, and she will help you. Now, if you wave your flag, a big helicopter doesn’t come by and pluck you out—you are given some hints to help you find your own way out. And if that doesn’t work you can always ask for more help. And in many ways, it reminds me of prayer. Now I hope you don’t only pray when you are lost or afraid or feel hopeless, but I do hope that when you do feel that way, you remember to pray, you remember that God is always watching over you, and while God will not pluck you out of a bad situation, praying and spending time with God might give you hope, and help you find your way out.

Let’s pray (Children repeat each line after me):
Loving God
Thank you for hearing us when we call you
Please watch over us
This week and always.
Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home