Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Children's Message--A Clear Reflection (John 8:12)

Today, the title of Pastor Deborah’s sermon is “A clear reflection”. When I read the title, it reminded me of a thought I have been wanting to share with you.

Jesus said, “I am the light of the world”. Jesus is the light. Our job is to help shine that light.

When I was studying to be a Christian Educator, one of my lecturers** told us a neat story about mirrors. Mirrors reflect things. You can take a mirror and pick up a beam of light and reflect it anywhere. You can use a mirror to bring light to places that are dark.

We are kind of like Jesus’ mirrors. We are not the source of light. We just take the light and reflect it to places that need light. We are like Jesus’ little mirrors whenever we take action to bring Jesus to dark places.

When we bring a family a Christmas basket or pray for people who feel lonely or sing for people who might be sad, we shine the light of Jesus into dark places.

I would like to give you each a little mirror as a reminder that you can shine Jesus’ light into dark places.

Let’s pray: Loving, God, Thank you for Giving us
Jesus, the Light of the world.
Help us to be like mirrors—
Reflecting Jesus’ light and love
To the dark places in the world.
Amen.

**Inspiration for this children's sermon came from Amy Scott Vaughn from Princeton Theological Seminary Institute for Youth Ministry where she shared the story on which this is based, "The Mirror " from Robert Fulghum's "It was on Fire When I Lay Down on it."

I was able to purchase small mirrors (1 inch circles) at JoAnn Fabrics in packs of 10 for $.99.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home